questions about digital output, ardiuno

Started by melangolo, December 30, 2014, 04:16:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

melangolo

Hi, I'm a starter on KUKA and I really need your help. We want to do light painting with KUKA KR900, and the problem is how to communicate between KUKA and ardiuno: we want the lights on only when KUKA is moving along the curves we set, and off when KUKA moving between those curves. I have looked up some material and it mentions something about digital output, but I don't really understand. Can someone help to tell me the method briefly?

Thanks a lot!

melangolo

I think it may be like the process of extrusion somehow. For example, in the tutorial section, the case of extrusion said: if e.g. the extruder is attached to the robot's digital output #33, you could use "$OUT[33]=TRUE" instead.

I wander if I can attach the lights to the robot's digital output? But how to do this?

Johannes @ Robots in Architecture

Hello,

Your Agilus should have a number of digital outputs on its axis 4 (the connector where you screw off the cap). At least the valves (which are right next to it) are in my experience preconfigured, so you can just put a multimeter there and try out the first couple of digital outputs (Display/Outputs on the smartPAD) until you see a change in voltage.

The proper way to do it would be first look into the KRC4 compact controller. Inside there is probably an EtherCAT coupler like that: http://www.beckhoff.com/images/EtherCAT/EK1100__web.jpg
On the right side of the coupler you can add modules with inputs or outputs. Chances are good that there is already at least one installed. They each have got a number like EL2808 - go to the beckhoff.com homepage and try to find the one that gives you digital outputs,  like e.g. that one: http://download.beckhoff.com/download/Document/Catalog/Main_Catalog/english/separate-pages/EtherCAT/EL2808.pdf
As the next step, you have to configure the robot in a way so that he knows that when you switch the output 33 (or any number) you actually want to switch the third (or whatever) output of the Beckhoff terminal.
This configuration is done within the KUKA WorkVisual software (which is included with every robot). Do you have someone who knows how to use WorkVisual?

Before going into WorkVisual it makes sense just to try the first 20 or so digital outputs and see if something happens. Maybe whoever set up the robot already configured some outputs. Every Beckhoff terminal has got a number of signal LEDs on top that light up when the IO is on.

The standard Beckhoff digital output provides 0.5A at 24V which should be (more than!) enough for most LEDs. It probably still makes sense to use a relay, though.

On the KUKA|prc side it's easy, you just use the Digital Output component or - if you're using the trial version - write the code as you described into a Custom KRL Component.

Hope that helps!
Best,
Johannes

syuan

Hello Johannes

thanks for this detail, and I got a one question below:
Do you know how can I turn on the IO output from smartPAD ?
I click the Display/Outputs..but after it I do not know where I need to look for ?
and I guess I had something like gripper...
It will be good if you can give me more detail of it.  :)

Thanks in advance,
Yuan

Hello,

Usually you have to configure IOs via WorkVisual before you can set them. There, you basically link the "physical" output of the Beckhoff module with an internal number.
With the Agilus some IOs may be preconfigured, though.
You are already in the right menu with the Display/IOs, it could be that you have to be in Expert mode in order to manually set a digital output.
I can double-check that tomorrow.

Best,

syuan

Hello Johannes

thanks for quickly reply,
Yes, I'm using Agilus...I will also check it if it is in expert mode, and can set a digital output.

Best,
Yuan

syuan

Hello Johannes

I'm trying to test the io output today, and from the smartPAD, I saw there are many name of Ausgang and when I click the valve..it display green...Is this means that I turn on io output ?

and another question is that which one I need to measure it by multimeter ?

Best,
Yuan

syuan

Hello Johannes

I have fixed this problem.  :)

thanks,
Yuan

Perfect!
What turned out to be the problem, how did you fix it? Just in case anyone runs into the same issue!

Best,
Johannes

syuan

hello Johannes

yes, I will post it in this weekends or next week.  :)

best,
Yuan

syuan

Hello Johannes

finally I found a time for it.
basically, I used the WorkVisual for finding which Output that I have.
from this image, I can use $OUT[23] and $OUT[24].

before this step, setting your ip in your pc..and make sure your pc is connecting to cabinet (in my case, I connected to X66 from cabinet).
another image is my current result of test output, and the next step will use Arduino for controlling customised tool.  :)

Best,
Yuan