Adjusting Planes on each point

Started by bobpeterson, July 31, 2015, 10:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobpeterson

I'm creating a helical bent tube at 90deg(see pix).  I want the yellow orientation lines to also follow the direction of the tube, basically make a gradual angle following  the helix.  I can't figure out how to adjust the planes of each point to do this.  Anyone know?  I'm using the simplepath.gh file for now to get me started.

Bob

Johannes @ Robots in Architecture

Hello Bob,

I've quickly put together an example how that could work, see attached files.
It doesn't yet include any robot-specific code as I don't know which version of PRC you are using. If you're using the old PRC version, right-click the LIN-movement component to switch it to using planes as the input geometry.

Hope that helps!
Best,

Johannes

bobpeterson

Thanks so much!  I'll try it out tomorrow.  Looks great, How do I add the simulation with the robot following the path now?

We are using a Kuka KR6-900, I just download PRC free trial a few weeks ago so it should be one of the latest versions. 

Heres a snapshot of it if this helps.

Hello Bob,

There you go, please find attached a quick definition. Also take a look at the files in the tutorial sections. Regarding the project, some things are important to keep in mind:

- If you're moving in a spiral, you will "wind" the robot up - every axis has got a certain axis limit, and if you keep turning in the same direction it will run into that limit. For some robots, you can set the axis 4 and 6 to infinite rotation, which would be helpful for your project (the Agilus for example can NOT rotate A4 infinitely as A4 contains the pressured air tubing).
- Even if the robot can move everywhere, the cable of your tool may wind itself around the robot.
- The "winding up" is not simulated in the "free" KUKA|prc, I would recommend taking a look at the member version, for which I can issue you a temporary license. Just send me an eMail.

All the best,
Johannes

Hello Bob,

I just sent you an eMail, but maybe this is helpful for others as well - instead of using a helix you can also slice it into circles (in the case of a tube) and then flip the direction of every second circle so that the robot automatically unwinds itself.
The attached example uses the new PRC for the robot components, but most pathplanning is native Grasshopper anyway!

Best,
Johannes