Best way to create a milling toolpath w/combo of LIN and CIRC?

Started by neeboy, September 19, 2013, 08:49:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neeboy

I have successfully generated several short toolpaths using LIN and CIRC commands separately...now I need to combine them into one long toolpath for milling foam with a KRC-1 + KR30/2

I have gotten a multi-command toolpath by using the "Weave" function....but for a long, extended toolpath, that could make for a very busy screen if I had to have a separate group of icons for every linear and arc segment.  "Weave" commands can be nested, but like I said, the screen real-estate will get eaten up.

The only other way I know how is to make the whole toolpath one continous LIN command by joining all the segments together in Rhino...but then my arcs have to be broken up into line segments.  My antiquated KRC-1 has a limited amount of points that can be loaded into one program, so I gotta keep the point count down as much as possible.  That's real easy with LIN segments (just a start and end point), but the instant I have curves, it becomes a growing issue.

(I am not an official member of the association yet, but if the full-blown member-specific version of the PRC will help me in my quest, I can be patient and wait until I have the means to join...there's plenty more exploring in just Grasshopper that I have yet to do)

Anyone have any advice?  Thanks in advance!  :)

Johannes @ Robots in Architecture

Hello,

I've posted an example in the Tutorials section, see http://forum.robotsinarchitecture.org/index.php/topic,24.0.html
It takes a curve and parametrically divides it into arcs and lines, depending on the angle of the arc's three points.

Just note that you may need the KUKA|prc Trial version that we're going to post later today to work with the file!

Best,
Johannes
Association for Robots in Architecture