cutting with disk cutter tool

Started by nimon, May 20, 2017, 06:48:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nimon

Hi,
I'm trying to cut a some sluts on a hemisphere surface using projected curves and Evaluating Surface to generate frames normal to the surface. The problem is since the cutting disk should be always parallel to the X axis in order to cut a straight line that I cant achieve using above method. Is the any trick to limit tool's rotation in one of orientation axis (lets say A or C)?

Johannes @ Robots in Architecture

Hello,

Well, you've can get the tooltip and tangent vector from your curve and the normal vector from the surface. So you basically only need that information to build up your frame. You could just use the Construct Plane component, deconstruct the plane, and then reassemble it as needed (e.g. origin and X vector stay the same, new Y-vector is the previous Z-vector).

Best,
Johannes

nimon

Thanks for the reply.
I've tried to deconstruct the frame and construct it by replacing Z to Y vectors, but I still receive a rotation about X axis.
I've two tools on simulation, one has 90 degree rotation and it seems visually that the above method is working on the one without rotation.

Johannes @ Robots in Architecture

Hello,

I had a look at your file and it looks OK, but of course without the tool geometry it is tough to get a feeling for the process.
If you do not want any rotation around X then you cannot take the normal vector, but instead take e.g. just a Z-vector or maybe an average of all normal vectors in a row.
Currently you are simply extracting the surface frames, which works because of how you set up the surface. It's not a universal solution, though.
I would create curves (isocurves, project, etc.), divide them and then create a plane where the division point is the origin, the T (tangent) output one coordinate axis, and a fixed vector the other coordinate axis.

Finally note that unless you have got a planar curve, you will always have some rotation going on - but the disk might be able to deal with little, slow rotations.

Also, I would suggest that you first calibrate your robot's tool, unless you've already done so.

Best,
Johannes