Hiding Dust in Fabrication Lab

Started by thinktankgroup, July 10, 2017, 04:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thinktankgroup

Hi all!

We're opening a one-of-a-kind innovation/fabrication lab (our kr150 r3100 arrives today!), and we're trying to select paint (wall and ceiling) that will look great and will give us the most efficient work space possible.

Does anyone have any insights or advice on what color of paint and sheen best hide the kind of dust and debris that come with working in this kind of lab? What type/color of paint have you found is a great camouflage for dust and is best for washing down / keeping clean?

BACKGROUND:
- We're working with materials like wood, foam and metals
- Our space is made up of CMU Walls / Metal Decking / Steel Trusses
- We want to choose paint shades and sheens that camouflage dust and debris as much as possible

Thanks in advance for any insights that you can provide!

Johannes @ Robots in Architecture

Hello,

I really love your question, but cannot really help you much. Of course black is a problem because you can see dust easily, at the same time white can be tricky for filming and photography.
I'd probably still go for white or a light-grey. The finish is more important, e.g. if you want to be able to wash the walls, or use processes where you need cooling (metals!).
Obviously it's better to get rid of dust immediately rather than hiding it, but attaching an extraction device can be an issue with multi-axis processing. I've seen really nice setups where they extract dust through the floor.

Enjoy your new robot!
Johannes

thinktankgroup

Johannes,

Thanks for the reply and the insights!

You mentioned that finish is most important. Do you have a personal recommendation for finish that you have found is best for cleaning / look / maintenance?

I'd also love to check out some of the floor dust-extraction setups that you mentioned if you have any examples you'd like to share! Thanks again : )