KUKAprc for Dynamo

Started by Christian, November 20, 2017, 08:56:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christian

Hello,

i'm trying to reproduce your example 'FusionMill' from your paper 'Robots as Design Interfaces' of the Autodesk University. Sadly I always get the attached error at the KUKAprc CORE.

Windows 7 64bit, .NET-Version: 4.7.2053.0

I would be glad if you can help me making your example working.

Best regards,
Christian

Johannes @ Robots in Architecture

Hello Christian,

Hmm.. That is interesting. It seems that there is a problem with the System.IO library. I've uploaded it here:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtgYyPhhrKrMnKouasc3qSMPGyO2NA
As you are running Dynamo for Revit, please copy/paste the following line into the address bar of the Windows explorer (not internet explorer, the file manager)
%AppData%\Dynamo\Dynamo Revit\1.3\packages\KUKAprcDynamo\bin
And then put the two *.dlls from the ZIP file there.

On my Windows 10 it's running fine, but maybe Windows 7 needs some extra support.
Please let me know if that worked!

Best,
Johannes

Christian

Hello Johannes,

i tried it under Win 7, but after i copy the files to the destination, the KUKA package doesn't work anymore.

Because you mentioned Win 10 i tried it also in a virtual Win 10. There i get the following exception after copying the files.

Thanks for your support!

Best regards,

Christian

Hello Christian,

A common issue is that libraries sometimes may get blocked when they are downloaded from the web.
You could try to go to %AppData%\Dynamo\Dynamo Revit\1.3\packages\KUKAprcDynamo\bin and right-click each of the DLL files. Choose Properties and then if there is a button called "Unblock" click it and confirm with OK. I would see this as a likely reason for the total disappearance of KUKA|prc after you copied the extra libraries that it were missing before.

If that does not help, please get in touch via johannes@robotsinarchitecture.org so that we can troubleshoot in a more focused way.

Best,
Johannes

singline

How have you guys been finding KUKAprc for Dynamo? My pc is up there in terms of power, but when working on a simple milling/drawing tutorial I quickly lost my patience with how long it took Dynamo/Revit to compute simple changes. The same actions in GH would have taken milliseconds.. ?

Curious to see if its me or just Dynamo..

Hello,

It is quite a lot slower on Dynamo because the Dynamo 3D engine is rather basic (WPF / Helix). That being said it did not feel super slow to me, unless you import a huge NC file. Can you give me some performance numbers (e.g. how long a solution takes) for me to compare with?

However I have been working on bringing PRC for Grasshopper and Dynamo on a common codebase over the holidays, so that they use exactly the same libraries and thus implement new features and robots in parallel- until now it was basically a branch. It also improved the speed and added several new features, and it will make support for new platforms like Grasshopper 2 a matter of hours.
I don't know how quickly it will be possible to push out the new release for both GH and Dynamo - probably there will be an early beta in 2-3 weeks.
We also saw some people having issues with Dynamo complaining about missing libraries. We haven't quite figured out the exact reason why it works on most Win7/8/10 PCs but not all of them, but the new versions seems to have reduced - and ideally solved, but we'll only know this after more external feedback - these issues.

Best,
Johannes