Question regarding new custom tool

Started by nickolastd21, December 01, 2017, 02:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickolastd21

Hi all would like to ask what others have achieved in regards to a long reach tool and how far of an offset to the face plate on axis-6, im planning to cast some different head attachments to i have options for hard to reach areas, it goes without saying the further you go the less accurate or ridged it will be.
the question i guess is would it be unreasonable to expect a 4kw spindle on a kr140 2.4m reach robot to work with a 600mm offset spindle, or is their some limit to what the KRC2 ed05 can deal with & will this put excessive load on the wrist?
materials to be cut would be hardwood through to soft foam.
Thanks for reading

Johannes @ Robots in Architecture

Hello,

I would assume a 4kW spindle to be around 20kg, so even with a 600mm extension it will be well within the 140kg payload of your robot.
That being said, having the long extension could make 5-axis milling more complicated, as the robot will have to move quite much in the "back" in order to tilt the tool in the "front".
I think that I've used tool values of well over 1000mm before, so I don't see a software limit there.

Best,
Johannes

nickolastd21

Thanks Johannes
i must admit i had overlooked the feed rate implications, but would be a additional tool for hard to reach places and only part of the job as a whole.
hope to have a video or something to show you soon, current clips i have are more black box recordings of my mistakes.

Johannes @ Robots in Architecture

Having a modular extension would definitely make sense for some applications, you could even split your job in half, depending on the distance.
Looking forward to seeing it in action!
Best,
Johannes