Starting my Own Robot Sculping company

Started by ematias, February 07, 2018, 03:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ematias

Hello to everyone, I'm so happy to be part of this forum and here is my first post.

I'm a Cuban industrial designer with knowledge in Rhino and a little bit Grasshopper trying to start my own company of Foam Sculpting and Milling in Florida, USA and I have some questions before jump.

1- I've targeted a second hand KUKA KR150 + KRC1 + Teach pendant included for $5k. Is a good choice for the field that I'm trying to get in?

2- I'd like to know much space I'll need to create the workcell.

3- There is any website where you can learn how to set up from 0 your Robot?

4- At first it is necessary to buy a turntable? It's ok to split big parts and them join them between?

5- Which brands of spindles are recommend to buy?

6-What kind of tools extra would you recommend to have?

Sorry for my english, it's not my first language  ;)

Johannes @ Robots in Architecture

Hello,

That sounds great! Regarding your questions:

• The older the robot, the more problems you might have with complex toolpaths, as the robot may not have enough memory. Unfortunately there are no "hard numbers", but I usually recommend a robot with KRC2 ed05 (from 2005 onwards) controller. They should not be much more expensive!
  • For the space, I would recommend downloading the free version of KUKA|prc and simulating what you want to do. In general, a robot like the one you were thinking of has got a reach of 2.5-3 meters, so something like 4x4m would be the minimum in my opinion, though more wouldn't hurt. But it very much depends on what size of material you want to work with.
  • I'm not aware of any such website, and robot training is quite expensive in industry. Ideally you find someone locally that can help you out and then ask in forums like this and others for specific problems. There are also many KUKA manuals around, a user posted e.g. this one: http://forum.robotsinarchitecture.org/index.php/topic,103.msg195.html#msg195
  • Turntables are a pain (and expensive) to retrofit, rather get one with your robot if you need one!
  • Spindles: There are many manufacturers around, HSD seems popular, others are e.g. ELTE and HiTeco.
  • Tools: Try to find someone who knows the best sources for getting good milling bits. Often that business is not very online-focused. Beyond that I find toolchangers (e.g. by Schunk/ATI in the US) very useful, and a good table for clamping. Also consider safety, e.g. fences, thick acrylic glass etc.

Hope that helps!
Best,
Johannes

ematias

Thank you very much Johannes, of course your help matters I'll keep you update!

Hello,

It seems to be in very good shape, and 10-19k h is like 2 years of 24/7 work, which a robot should take easily. However according to the description you might not get exactly that robot.
They seem to have many robots in stock, so maybe ask them if they've got any with KRC2 ed 05. But the 7k USD is a good price for a KRC2 if it really ends up being in the condition shown in the photos and video.

Best,
Johannes

vdc

Hey there,

First of all congrats for your initiative, awesome way to give new life to this machines. 

Regarding your questions:

1- I've targeted a second hand KUKA KR150 + KRC1 + Teach pendant included for $5k. Is a good choice for the field that I'm trying to get in?

1) As Johannes said try a KR C2 ed05 and you will be much better, C2 will give harder headaches...
    For the robot KR150 is perfect, however you could try KR90 series there are some configurations with equivalent work envelope.

2- I'd like to know much space I'll need to create the workcell.

2) Depending on the space available, 5mx5m is OK, perhaps using a room corner could a good choice in order to save some money on fences.
    By the way, mind the security before is too late. physical fences, light curtains or other.

3- There is any website where you can learn how to set up from 0 your Robot?

3)Well you can try from the manuals, do not know any website... more than that you need experience.
   Here is the best i know: http://supportwop.com/IntegrationRobot/content/service.htm

However there will be a lot of troubles that only someone with experience, give a quick solution.
   Think of hiring a robot technician or engineer on freelance to help with start-up   

4- At first it is necessary to buy a turntable? It's ok to split big parts and them join them between?

4)Depending on the volume and budget ... However at first maybe is better and quicker to start without it ยด

5- Which brands of spindles are recommend to buy?

5)HSD

6-What kind of tools extra would you recommend to have?

6)An extra pair of the ones you will use more often ;)

Keep us updated on your quest, will be glad to help,

Victor

ematias

I got an offer for a Kuka KR200 comp robot
with KRC2d05 controls $10k with 20k work hours. The robot has been fully
tested, serviced, repainted and comes with a 90-day parts warranty is
complete with KRC2 teach pendant and cables.
What do you think guys?

Hello,

I think 10k for KRC2ed05 is a much better investment than the 5k KRC1!
As with all used things you can get lucky or get a lemon, but from the numbers it seems very good.
Also take a look at vdc's post above (which I only now approved, that's why it's showing up above).

Best,
Johannes

coppers

I also voted on 10k for KRC2ed05 good investment!