Horizontal turn table

Started by pak, July 03, 2018, 10:42:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pak

Hello everyone,

I have been trying to simulate a horizontal turn table (or rotating mandrel) from the turn table example in kuka|prc.
I can easily change the C component of the turn table block to 90 which rotates the robot model 90° to simulate a horizontal turn table configuration, but then in the viewport I have a horizontal robot which makes it hard to navigate around. At that point the simulation works fine with the turntable rotating the work piece (Z is still the turntable rotating axis).

I tried to compensate by adding a -90 to the base C component which effectively brought back the robot to be vertical and the turntable horizontal (Y axis rotating axis).
However I have issues with the turntable simulation with the robot turning around the piece and not the turntable rotating (I did rotate the work piece mesh and the cylinder surface to be horizontal and aligned to the turntable).

I have played quite a lot with orientations to try to solve the issue but I cannot seem to make it work for a horizontal turntable.

Has anyone tried to set up a similar turntable simulation ?

Thanks in advance !

Johannes @ Robots in Architecture

Hello pak,

I'm currently on the train and cannot check it right now, but I believe the AA's setup component from Hooke Park uses a horizontal turntable.
However, it isn't necessarily wrong if the robot is looking to the side, as you can then again compensate that by using the right base coordinate system.

Best,
Johannes

pak

Hello Johannes,

Thank you for your reply.
Yes I have tried the AA's setup and it is a horizontal turntable, which works fine in the example as long as I keep the robot looking to the side.

When I compensate in the base to bring it back to behing vertically aligned with axis Z, the simulation starts giving me troubles.
I have attached the files using the turn table example with the AA's table after base compensation (B 90).
As you can see I have the robot turning around the workpiece and I cannot seem to find a way to fix that.

Thanks again for your help.

Johannes @ Robots in Architecture

Hello,

I just realized that you are referring to the automatic solver. It seems to be causing issues in that case, the rotation is going in the wrong direction.
I've replicated what the solver does in the attached, modified file, which now works fine in the simulation!

Best,
Johannes

pak

Hello Johannes,

Thank you for the custom file, it does work great !