required software for milling with Kuka PRC

Started by happytriger2000, September 14, 2014, 05:17:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

happytriger2000

Hello,
         I know Kuka PRC works well with Sprutcam but how about other CAM software like Mastercam, Rhinocam, Powermill so on... can Kuka|PRC work with Mastercam or Rhinocam?

thanks,

Johannes @ Robots in Architecture

Hello,

Well, the nice thing about Grasshopper is that you can implement your custom algorithms for e.g. importing G-code and turning 3 or 5-axis toolpaths into proper robot code.
At the moment, we have a component for SprutCAM, but a while ago we also worked on a postprocessor for VisualMill G-code (which should be similar to RhinoCAM). So it's definitely possible. The first step would be to send me an exemplary G-code file. If you can choose from multiple internal postprocessors, choose the one that makes the least messy code. Then I'll be able to tell you if that is easy to do or not!

Best,
Johannes

happytriger2000

Hello Johannes,
                         I have Mastercam 5 axis and Rhinocam 3 axis + 4th index. I will send you both code from Mastercam and Rhinocam 2.0 pro.

happytriger2000

I would suggest choosing a machine that is included by default with MasterCAM and has got all the degrees of freedom you require. Besides that, choose the one with the clearest syntax and easiest to read code!
Best,
Johannes

happytriger2000

I chose an example file called: 1 CURVE 5X MM.MCX-6, the cnc-machine used: MILL 5 - AXIS TABLE - HEAD VERTICAL MM

http://youtu.be/L0xxRcBbuj0

Is this ok?

The video looks good to me, but now I got your file and it looks quite a bit more complicated to me.
To get something really accurate I would have to know what each of this operation means with that machine. Quite a few G-code operations are universal, but I'm not an expert on that topic.

N108 T2 M6
N110 G0 G54 G90 X-231.077 Y-50. C0. B0. S630 M3
N112 G43 H2 Z50.
N114 Z10.
N116 G1 Z-2.732 F120.
N118 X-181.077
N120 G3 X-131.077 Y0. J50.
N122 G1 Y48.75

I can probably fix you something up that quickly gets you the XYZ and feeding speed for each point, but going into more detail with e.g. the circular movements isn't going to be possible in the coming week as there is too much to do.

Best,

uberdoom

Hey All,

Was this issue ever resolved? Sprutcam, Rhinocam and myself just don't get along.  I have access to Mastercam but not Robotmaster and thus no proper post-processor for the g-code.  Thanks so much...I have a kr150 with krc2 controller.

Sincerely,

Doug J.

uberdoom

That being said I also have access to Powermill through a friends business.  This is the program I most prefer, but I cannot even afford the robot module.  A custom post-processor is necessary.  I'm just not sure what g-code to produce as there's a million choices...just not Kuka. 

Anyone have any help? Suggestions?  Any information would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Hello Doug,

I don't have access to MasterCAM, so we would have to try to find a 5-axis postprocessor that creates code that is easy to parse. Or create our own, if there is an easy postprocessor-generator.
I've attached a simple G-code file that could be parsed by the existing KUKA|prc 5-axis import (though the example just uses three axis, A and C are at 0 - was the first file I could find).
You can also get in touch with me via johannes@robotsinarchitecture.org

Best,
Johannes

kranaud35

Quote from: Johannes @ Robots in Architecture on September 14, 2014, 10:12:33 AM
Hello,

Well, the nice thing about Grasshopper is that you can implement your custom algorithms for e.g. importing G-code and turning 3 or 5-axis toolpaths into proper robot code.
At the moment, we have a component for SprutCAM, but a while ago we also worked on a postprocessor for VisualMill G-code (which should be similar to RhinoCAM). So it's definitely possible Mobilier pas cher. The first step would be to send me an exemplary G-code file. If you can choose from multiple internal postprocessors, choose the one that makes the least messy code. Then I'll be able to tell you if that is easy to do or not!

Best,
Johannes
Thank you for this infrormation . I am new in the field , it is good to know the different manipulations .