Request help for the Cellular fabrication and matrix frame production research u

Started by ithesuni90, August 28, 2021, 12:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ithesuni90

Hello
I am conducting a Ph.D. program in digital architecture. I mainly studied 3D printing and I want to do 3D printing using robots. It's my first time, so I don't know what to start with, so I'm posting for advice.
Also, what I want to do is to make CELLULAR FABRICATION, MATRIX FRAME like BRANCH TECHNOLOGY company.
For those who have this knowledge or who know about algorithmic videos, books, literature, etc., I would like to ask for your help.
I was very interested in the convergence of robotics and architecture, but now that I'm about to start, I don't know much about it, so I'm not good at it
I ask for your interest and advice from the pioneers in this field.

Johannes @ Robots in Architecture

Hello,

From what I remember, good references are ETH's Mesh Mould system, as you mentioned Branch Technology, and I think there was also some research and Tongji University. My overview is probably a few years old, I'm sure that there are plenty more projects like that by now.

Unfortunately I don't think there is an easy way to get started, personally, I would approach such a challenge by drawing the toolpath I want the robot to follow by hand as geometry before trying to create elaborate algorithms. Then you can check what works and what doesn't and get some initial physical results.
From what I've heard, cold welds are a pretty big challenge for these kind of structures. So it's not just the programming, but also the material's physical behavior that will be challenging.

Hope that helps a bit!
Best,
Johannes