Toolpath creation with external rotary axis

Started by MaxMe, May 13, 2024, 04:33:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaxMe

Hello! I was wondering if there is any new docs or videos running through toolpath setup for an external turntable? I would like to use a turntable to control the x axis whilst the robot focuses on z and y. Does this require significant plane editing or is there a tool that is more plug and play?

Thank you!
Max.

Johannes @ Robots in Architecture

Good Morning Max,

There are some examples in the tutorial and support section, but could you confirm what you are trying to do?
Because a turntable rotates. If you want to have a coordinate axis "supported" then you would probably be using a linear axis/track/rail.

Best,
Johannes

MaxMe

Hi Johannes,

Apologies, I worded my intent poorly. However since posting this, I found an earlier script of yours that solved my issue!

Thank you!

Great that you got it to work!
Best,
Johannes

MaxMe

Hi Johannes!

I have an update. The script I found for the turntable is simulating very nicely, and seems to have no problems in grasshopper. However when run on our robot, the TCP seems to be following the rotation of the turntable, instead of keeping its intended orientation with the turntable moving beneath it. Would you have any ideas as to why this is happening?

Thanks!

Max

Hello Max,

So the intended behavior in KUKA|prc is that you calibrate an offset base (not a regular base) which is then kinematically linked with the robot. So when you go into base movement mode, switch to the E1 and move it, the robot should move along with it (assuming an offset base is selected).

From your description it sounds like this is happening, which would be good. But is there a mismatch between simulation and reality?

Best,
Johannes