Single point incremental forming

Started by Stjernqvist, September 27, 2016, 10:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stjernqvist

First of - Thank you for your great work!

I have bin looking at clips where you use a robot for incremental forming and I am curious to try it out. Do you have an example for this?

Thanks again / Cristofer

Johannes @ Robots in Architecture

Hello Cristofer,

Here is a quick example I found from our 2015 workshop in Shanghai. It shows an exemplary helical toolpath - turn the points into an XY plane and then into LIN movements and you would have a working example.
While the general logic for incremental forming is not particularly complicated and very similar to some milling strategies, the challenge lies in finding the right parameters for your combination of tool and material. So there will be plenty of experimentation involved!

Hope that helps,
Johannes

Stjernqvist

Thank you!

Yes I guess there will be some experimenting but that is part of the fun. ;)
I will try it out in the next couple of days.

Have a nice day! / Cristofer

Stjernqvist

Hi again!

Now I have done some testing and I think it's really interesting to see what possibilities there are with single point incremental sheet metal forming. I have added a link to a short video where I make a quite large cone.

https://vimeo.com/187722057

Thanks for your help Johannes!

Johannes @ Robots in Architecture

Awesome, congratulations and thanks for sharing!
I couldn't help but to notice the assorted robots in the background - are you collecting? ;)

Best,
Johannes

Stjernqvist

Thanks! The robots are just some old KR 150-2 with KRC1 controller that I got almost for free. Its nice to see that even these old robots work great with Kuka Prc. Many people complain about the small memory in the KRC1 (original maximum 1925 points)  but after some adjustments in the hw_inf.ini file I have no problem running 20.000+ points in a single file. Combined with the ability to split files there should be no problem with milling or other memory eating tasks.
Anyway thanks again for a great add-on for Grasshopper.