Meshes malfuntion in Karl Singline's Custom Turntable

Started by marcmoulton, July 26, 2019, 11:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marcmoulton

Hello Johannes,

I am learning from Karl Singline's Custom Turntable but wish to work with Meshes.

All meshes seem to self-intersect. (I've tried to simplify, make more complex, align normals, flip normals).
As such, the form is destroyed during the process.

Is there a way to keep the contour lines/toolpath on the outside of a mesh form?

I've attached files and baked the toolpath (highlighting the problem intersections in red).

This file has not been run on an actual robot - so not certain it would fail but I cannot figure out what is wrong.
Oh by the way, I asked Karl but he was busy moving and recommended I ask you.

Thank you,
Marc

Johannes @ Robots in Architecture

Hello Marc,

The problem is more a general problem and not really related to using a turntable or KUKA|prc by itself.
It's a combination of two challenges:

-Even a closed curve has got a start and end point. When you make the contour lines, there is no automatic way to keep them aligned, so they will be all over the geometry. Your script currently connects the end point of one contour curve with the start point of the next, so sometimes it will go through the geometry. In my edited file I've added a point, searched for the closest corresponding point on the curves and then adjusted the position of the seam accordingly.
-The second challenge happens when one contour plane intersects the geometry at multiple, separate positions, think of a mountain with one base but multiple summits. In my edited file I've simply only taken the curve with the largest enclosed area and skipped the others.

As always the problem is that finding a "general" solution that works for all geometries is a huge amount of work. So the logic from the tutorial worked perfectly for one geometry but may require adjustments for another.

Hope that helps!
Best,
Johannes

marcmoulton

Johannes,

Fantastic!

Simulation works as expected (or as I wished).

Yes, understand about the mountain - was working on bunny ears - will keep working and exploring.

Thanks tons for your help.

Cheers,
Marc