Kuka KR5 SIXX R650 support

Started by ADeGrenier1, December 18, 2020, 09:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADeGrenier1

Hello all,
I'm currently a graduate architecture student at the University of Florida. I have been interested in robotics ever since grade school and I want to continue my passion for robotics in my designs.  I am currently looking for inspiration and direction to  aid  my Masters Research Project.  I know there is vast trajectory's that I could go with robotics and architecture but I want to start first with the robot.  I am currently in the process of self funding my own robotic arm for personal use as well as for my project.  I have been torn between many different brands such as Kuka, ABB and Fanuc, but my mind keeps turning me towards Kuka using Kuka|PRC instead of HAL or RoboDK.
I am currently looking at obtaining a Kuka KR5 R650 for my initial research with the KR C2sr or KR C2 EDO5  controller. Now I will be honest I have zero knowledge of what controller does what, and the compatibility with PC control from Kuka|PRC  but this is where I am coming to ask you all for some help.
Im looking to get a
2008 Kuka KR5 R650
2006 Kuka KR C2sr controller OR.  Kuka KR C2 ED05 controller
Kuka KRP2 Pendant (KUKA 00-130-547)
With all cables included.

This robot currently isn't listed in the Virtual robot list. Is this able to be added? Are these controllers compatible with Kuka|PRC and PC control? I hope to be able to do a one stop shop and get everything once and hopefully not have any issues. I do have a tight budget but also size and power constraints as well.  Any and all help with initial set up would be greatly appreciated!
Regards,
Austen 

LeahPowell

What is your budget, maybe I can help you???

Johannes @ Robots in Architecture

Hello Austen,
The KR5 was our first "own" robot, I remember it fondly, e.g. from Berlin: https://vimeo.com/30506602
That being said, the KR5 is - if I remember correctly - a Denso robot with a KUKA controller, so it's a bit of a strange combination. But it worked fine for us. That being said, especially as a beginner I would rather go for a used KUKA Agilus as it has got the newer KRC4 controller. Not sure how availability is in the US, though - you could start by calling KUKA US so that they can get you an offer. I would assume that a used Agilus with a few years on it should be around 10-15k USD.
For the KR5 you mentioned I personally wouldn't spend more than 3-7k on it.
Regarding PRC you could already implement it via the Custom Robot component, I can give you some pointers if you need help. I've attached a Rhino model of the 850 variant.
The controller should work fine with PRC. Regarding power, we always ran it from a standard 230V power outlet and never had any power issues - not sure if there is a US variant or if you need a voltage converter, though.
Best,
Johannes