Reduce Filesize no longer available in KukaPRC 2021-02-03 version

Started by Altrinis, April 09, 2021, 11:46:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Altrinis

Hello,
First of all, thank you for the hard work put into KukaPRC, it's a great tool!
I did notice that in newest version, there's one function missing that we needed most dearly: settings->advanced->code ->Reduce Filesize - Skip redundant positions.
We produce programs with high-precision toolpaths and amount of redundant positions is quite high (the external axis), enough to double the size of our code, to extents where it can no longer fit into (hard to understand) memory limits of a Kuka robot.

If you could add this setting back in the next release we would be most thankful. Until then, we will use the previous version.

Kind regards,
Michael.

Johannes @ Robots in Architecture

Hello Michael,

Thanks a lot for the kind words and the feedback! The Redundant Position functionality is still in, to be honest I assumed that hardly anyone is using it and therefore got rid of the UI option.
Have you compared whether the file-size really makes a difference? I got some infos from KUKA that omitted positions take up the same amount of memory (not on the harddrive, but once it's loaded to the robot).
Have you had the case were skipping the redundant positions made a difference?
If so, I'd be more than happy to re-integrate the option.

Best,
Johannes

Altrinis

Thank you for the quick reply! I have only now found the time to properly test file sizes and minimization.

I can confirm that a KRL file with original size of 27.5mb caused an error "no more user memory available" when copying to R1 folder, but did not cause this error when redundant positions (only the ", A 0, B 90, C 0, E1 0, E2 0, E3 0, E4 0" fragment) have been removed. Size after the reduction was 14.6mb, so still very near the top limit.

Kind regards,
Michael.

Hello Michael,

Now that is super interesting to hear. I will definitely put the feature back in for the next release!
Sorry for the inconvenience!

Best,
Johannes

Hello Michael,

Today's PRC release reintroduces that option!

Best,
Johannes

Altrinis

That's fantastic and much appreciated!

Kind regards,
Michael.