Horizontal Axis Addition

Started by Altrinis, April 24, 2020, 10:23:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Altrinis

Hello,
I would be very thankful to receive Your opinion in the following matter:
We are planning to add an external horizontal axis to our current Kuka robot. It's naturally meant to be controlled with Kuka PRC.
The goal is to perform milling on cylindrical blanks (at least 1.5 m long however not exceeding more than 300kg), so precise synchronization is top priority.
After contacting Kuka, it was suggested that the KP1-MDC single-axis modular drive unit with counterbearing could possibly satisfy our needs.

1. Would Kuka PRC communicate with that equipment? Is it processed just as rotary table, but flipped sideways?
2. Do You have any better recommendation on hardware / solution (as in, to build the axis ourselves, other manufacturer etc.)?

Best regards.

Johannes @ Robots in Architecture

Hello,

Basically KUKA|prc does not know anything about the technical specifications of the axis, there is the geometric model and then the assignment to e.g. E1 as the variable.
So you can build any setup, it's just important that you can calibrate it exactly. There are strategies both for calibrating linear and rotary axis, so if the mechanics are sound I don't see a problem there.
While the KP1 is not included in KUKA|prc, I believe the guys at the AA have used one for the pavilions out of logs.

Regarding the hardware, the only requirement for a properly synchronizing axis is that it has to be a KUKA motor. The other mechanics can also come from another manufacturer (or from yourself). E.g. for linear axes, Güdel is very popular.
Note that you also need to ensure that your controller is compatible with the additional axis, you might have to retrofit it otherwise, which can be quite expensive.
A good way to start is probably to ask KUKA for an offer for the KP1, including any potential extra costs for your robot controller. If you give them the serial number, they will know how it is equipped.

Best,
Johannes

Altrinis

Thank You for the reply, I value Your input very much.
I'm curious of the project by Architectural Association that You have mentioned - if by any chance there's a link or reference to a research paper at Your reach I would be very glad to have seen it. 

Nonetheless, the process of equipment acquisition will take some time, I treat the current post as a "sanity check" before going further with KUKA.
I will report as events unfold.

Kind regards.

Johannes @ Robots in Architecture

Hello,

Here's the video: https://vimeo.com/288400443
I'm sure there are also publications around!

Best,
Johannes

Xylotica

Hi !
I'm happy I found this topic as I am also in the process of setting-up an external axis witha KUKA Motor/Gear unit (MGU 6800-235).
I want to design a special frame for this axis that would allow to set it either vertically or horizontally, with machined locating pins to garantee that in both cases it matches with a preset calibration.

I'm curious about Altrinis's setup, if it has taken shape.

Any suggestions / warnings welcome.

Best,