New to PRC

Started by Lewis, May 11, 2015, 10:19:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lewis

Hi Johannes,

My University have recently purchased a KUKA KR120 and I have no knowledge of PRC.
I am just wondering where I have gone wrong generating the tool path in this file, as when I plug in PRC the simulation does not follow the paths, it moves around as though it is surface milling.

Sorry for the beginner question, I'm sure there will be more to come.

Thank you,

Lewis

Johannes @ Robots in Architecture

Hello Lewis,

First of all sorry for the late reply, somehow I wasn't notified of a new post on the forum!
Nice job on the definition, I would recommend using the new beta version of PRC as it has got a few features especially in regards to simulation that make these tasks easier.
With an object such as your bowl, a big problem is the reachability if you do not have a turntable. You either have to split your job up (e.g. into three sectors with a different movement strategy) or position the workpiece in a clever way. In the attached example I did the latter.

In any case, if you want your simulation to get close to reality you have to set the right values for tool and base. See also here: http://forum.robotsinarchitecture.org/index.php/topic,115.0.html

And in regards to the programming I slightly changed your code - basically I divided the toolpath into a number of planes whose normals are oriented away from a point within the bowl. Then their X-axis is oriented towards the robot for better reachability. By adjusting the first point you basically set the toolaxis of the process, and with the second point the rotation around the tool axis.
With the new analysis view you can then quickly evaluate if the job works or not.
Just keep in mind that the Analysis-view only shows the set positions, i.e. there could also be unreachable points in between. To simulate them as well you can also set the "Interpolate LINear Movements" option.

As part of UTAS I've also unlocked the member section for you, if you don't have your license installed please get it from Robin Green.

Best,
Johannes @ Robots in Architecture

Lewis

Hi Johannes,

Thank you for your help and for adding me to the member section, the update makes a big difference. I will give this a run in the next couple of weeks.

Lewis