Surface Milling Tutorials

Started by canonnate, June 21, 2015, 11:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canonnate

I'm brand new to robotic milling and have downloaded the trial version.  Does anyone have some basic surface milling tutorials I could start learning from?

Nate

Johannes @ Robots in Architecture

Hello Nate,

I've quickly thrown together a few examples how that could work, see the attachments of this post.
It covers a few possibilities, e.g. following the isocurves of a surface or projecting contours onto a Brep. Just disable the preview of the examples that you are not interested in, when you open the file there will be several robots visible at the same time.

Hope that works, let me know if you get stuck anywhere! I can also issue you a brief trial license of the current member version.
Best,

Xylotica

Of that particular example?

Here you go!
Best,
Johannes

donjorges

hello,
i starting working on milling surfaces.. so, how do you start from the stock, this example is like the finish part, so to begin from the foam cube that you bougth at the store, and how do you develop and start milling from that..
do you offset, how do you...please.
thanks..

Hello,

I haven't come across any GH plugin that would do that for you in a reliable way, as those strategies are quite complicated and also do not fit that well into the GH way of programming.
Don't get me wrong, it's definitely possible to create milling strategy for individual use cases in GH and you can save great amounts of time through mass customization opposed to CAM software. But there isn't a script that will work well for "all" geometries, like in CAM software where you define the stock, the geometry, set a few parameters and get a working solution.

For "generic" CAM work we usually use Fusion 360, as it has got a nice interface and doesn't cost much (free for EDU). There is a Fusion 360 component in KUKA|prc, you can right-click it to export a postprocessor. Code generated through this PP can then be imported into GH and e.g. combined with your parametric geometry. Note that you need an additional "orientation" point as you get 5-axis G-code out of Fusion, that does not define the rotation around the tool axis!

Best,
Johannes

donjorges

thanks Johannes...
I´ll be practicing