KUKAPRC and KRC1

Started by 12much, April 18, 2016, 01:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

12much

TWIC

We, @Fablab www.Kaasfabriek.nl (Cheesefactory, because we reside in Alkmaar, The Netherlands) purchased an old Kuka KRC1 from my, writer of this topic,  actual employer. Transport and not being a robot technician caused a 3 month's search and trial and error quest, before we got her in the position she could move in T1, to reposition, calibrate the six axis and love her again:-)

We wanted to follow some workshops at Fablab Barcelona with Alexandre Dubor at that time, but had to get her moving before that first. Plus we needed a dedicated place in our fablab were she could stay and work safely. These conditions have been managed in the past year, so time comes for the next step. Alexandre adviced me to look into this forum.

It seems KRC1 is supported since then, at least at this moment, nice! But what do we have to do to accomplish this? I tried a search string with KRC1 and have read all (6:-)) posts.

• Kuka PRC is exporting a single file *.src combining all the information needed, avoiding the use of a *.dat file. KRC1 needs a seperate *.dat file.
  • Because we still have to overrule some safety issues, I guess we'll need a minimum of safety precautions for the program to work? In the beginning we got a shematic to make loops in one of the cables. Not everything was the same as mentioned in that file.
  • We still want to make an appointment with Alexandre to follow his course. Does anyone know which conditions the Kuka needs to make the course advantageous?
  • If it works and everybody at our Fablab is convinced she can stay, we'll surely will be members of Robots in Architecture, or would your advice be: Buy a newer one? Is it for instance possible to rebuild this Robot with the hardware from a KRC2?

As a diehard in visiting forums to get answers I know the benefit for a forum is giving answers also. I sincerely hope to be able to do so in the near future.

Thanks in advance,

Boy

Johannes @ Robots in Architecture

Hello Boy,

Fortunately there isn't a huge difference in functionality between the KRC1 and KRC2 - except memory and the Windows side of things.
A single relevant function does not exist yet for KRC1, which is why there is the checkbox in KUKA|prc for older KRC1s.

1. Why do you think that KRC1 needs an additional *.dat file? It is true that if you teach a program, the robot will automatically split it into a *.src and *.dat file, but this is only for convenience and the program structure. If the KRC1 could not read your *.src file, I guess that you may have used a number at the beginning, or a special character somewhere. Or forgot the checkbox in the settings. Or I'm wrong here, as I haven't worked much with KRC1 myself, but I know that other members use KUKA|prc successfully with KRC1 robots.

2. Safety should be separate from your program, I definitely wouldn't recommend e.g. setting axis limits on a per-file basis. If the robot won't let you run a program, you probably either haven't installed the safety equipment, or didn't override it, e.g. with a bridged X11.

3. Alex is a great teacher, so following his course sounds like a good idea - however I don't quite understand the question here.

4. It would be great to have you as a member! Regarding the robot - if you had a free KRC2 controller around somewhere it may be worth giving it a try. If not I'm 99% sure that it is not worth the time and trouble trying to upgrade an old KRC1 robot. I've seen very usable looking KRC2 ed05 robots for around 12k EUR from companies, and if you are lucky to come across a factory line that is being dismantled you can get them for much less - sometimes they even have spare ones with hardly any operating hours.

However, from your post it seems that you have more underlying issues with the robot configuration, which won't be much different with KRC2. So it probably make sense to try to get the KRC1 to work, and if you then run into memory problems etc. to consider upgrading.

Hope that helps a bit!
Best,
Johannes

12much

Hi Johannes,

Tnxx for the quick response.

Glad to hear KRC1can handle KukaPrc.

• Nice. I'm quite sure we didn't mark such a checkbox. Did it excist from the beginning? We're looking in the wrong direction now.
  • yes I agree. She will be placed within the limits of her new enviroment with optical borders, emergency stops etc like she formerly was working between the limits of her closed cell. Due to assembly reasons the X11connector was chopped off to be able to connect the new Fanuc to the existing safety equipment in the original cell. It gave us some headaches sometimes.
  • well maybe you did answer the question already. We would like to be able to run kukaprc when being teached by Alexandre when that moment is there soon. But
    Kuka should be running fully by then.
  • what is the standard memory in the krc1, do you know? If I remember it correctly, there was an extended memory module build in afterwards, because we were trying to load far to much programs at once. We had to split the total amount of programs in chunks she would accept. I'll look int it.

We actually can calibrate the axis and move her around in the different movement modules in T1. We run into an error if trying to load the kukaprc file. We will have to make some adjustments in wallmounts etc before we can plug her into the walloutlet, check the checkmark for older krc's and finish the safetymodules. I'll be back soon. Thanks for your efforts, regards,

Boy

Hello,

The option has been available for a while. But the robot should also give you a very clear error message on which line is causing problems.
I've got no idea regarding the amount of memory, but if it's expandable you can get KRC1 parts quite cheaply online from eBay etc.
If you run into any specific errors next time, please let me know!

All the best,
Johannes

12much

One of us, Robert, has a legal version of Rhino and Grasshopper, tried at your advice the checkmark for older KRC controller and got the next error±

;NO KRL OUTPUT IS AVAILABLE FOR EXPIRED EVALUATION VERSIONS
;KUKA|prc has expired!
;Please contact us at robots@robotsinarchitecture if you want to use KUKA|prc commercially
;A new evaluation version is available at www.robotsinarchitecture.org
HALT

Haha, time has caught us up, that means Kuka is hiding in the dark for over a year now :) It is time for us to renew our goals. As soon as we progress we´ll be in touch again.

Hello,

There is a new evaluation available for download!
We don't limit the duration of the trials per PC, but only have an expiration date to encourage users to upgrade to new versions.

Best,
Johannes

12much

Tnxx and done!

We checkmarked the older KRC and 1000 lines limit.

As soon as we're online, I'll let you know what the progress is.