Setting up KRC1 connection for use with KUKA|prc

Started by jasonwebb, August 17, 2016, 02:38:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jasonwebb

I'm researching the possibility of acquiring a used KR150 robot with KRC1 electronics, and have been getting a lot of mixed information from various sources about how to connect to the KRC1 using a more modern PC, or indeed if its possible at all.

Given the costs associated with the equipment, I want to be reasonably confident that if I do get it that I can connect to it to achieve the applications I'm interested in. In particular I'm interested in doing experimental creative work with it such as performances, light fabrication and (ideally) interactive experiences with the robot. For some applications I am content with just being able to load up programs created offline, but I would LOVE to have live communication with the bot to enable sensor-driven or otherwise interactive applications (even if they are somewhat slow).

I've seen a post or two here, and notes on the Food4Rhino plugin page, suggesting that KRC1 controllers are supported by KUKA|prc, but I have to admit that I'm a bit hazy on HOW to actually connect the KRC1 to another PC. I see that there is an RS232 serial interface available, which I could potentially use a crossover cable to connect to. But what about the KRC1 side - do I load some special program onto it that comes with the purchase of KUKA|prc? What do I need to do or learn about in order to get up the whole kit and kaboodle up and running?

If this information is included or made available with a paid membership to RoboArch I am MORE than happy to oblige, I just wanted to do my due diligence in making sure that such information exists so I can feel a bit more confident in pulling the trigger and getting my bot :)

Johannes @ Robots in Architecture

Hello Jason,

KUKA|prc creates *.src files that you can execute on the robot, also on a KRC1 controller. We also support live control through mxAutomation (only for KRC4), and know several users that use KUKA|prc for pathplanning and then integrate their own solution for streaming the data to the robot.
As you correctly mentioned, you can use the serial port for communication, or you could also use e.g. the digital inputs like the buttons on the gamepad, for left, right, up, down...
In each of these cases the challenge will be the data flow if you want to achieve a fluent motion. KUKA|prc will be useful for the path planning and reachability checking, as well as e.g. getting the XYZABC frames to send to the robot.
In general we do not really recommend anyone to get a KRC1 robot as the memory is very limited, so your filesize is constrained. If you mostly want to stream data, that may not matter as much as for other users, though.
So your KRC1 real-time control (real-time not in a sense of a couple of milliseconds) via the serial port is generally definitely possible, but it will need some playing around with, especially if you want to get a smooth movement and not just go to one point, stop, and then go to the next one.
I've attached the serial documentation!

Best,
Johannes

jasonwebb

Thanks Johannes, that is VERY helpful!

For now, being able to upload programs (or "chunked" programs) is a reasonable start for us. We are also interested in experimenting with the approach outlined by Robo.Op for doing real-time / streaming control at a later date.

Do you have some general information about the key technical differences between the KRC1 and KRC2? I think I heard that the *2 uses XP and, I assume, has more hard drive space and RAM, but I'm curious about what other sorts of benefits in provides.

We are currently looking into acquiring a used KRC2 and a KR150 from different dealers. Fingers crossed that we can make it happen!

Hello Jason,

I can't give you any exact numbers, e.g. for the maximum file size, as even KUKA does not provide them. But in general I really wouldn't go for a KRC1 controller as the price difference isn't huge. For most types the mechanics will be more or less identical and there are no great differences in code and capability (on a higher level, there are definitely many smaller improvements). It's really mostly about the file size. As far as I know KRC1 also does not support the USB port, so you will need network shares or floppy drives ;)
Windows XP is only available in the newer KRC2 controllers.
A KR150 with KRC2 controller is definitely a good idea!

Best,
Johannes

jasonwebb

The KR150 + KRC1 system we are looking at is available through an auction at a very low price. We otherwise would never be able to afford such equipment, haha. Our concern is that a KRC2 controller could cost us $10k+, which would be 2-3 times the entire budget of the rest of the system!

We have located a VKRC2 controller that can be had for a reasonable price though. Some integrators seem to complain a lot about them, but have any KUKA|prc users had good luck with them? Are they "close enough" for our purposes?

Hmmm... In Europe you can definitely get a KRC2 with KR150 at less than 10k EUR including the robot, but there is a much larger used market.
The VKRC2 controllers are slightly adapted, but there shouldn't be any big problems that I am aware of. I'll actually be working with a VRKC2 later this week.
That being said, I'm not that much of an expert on anything older then KRC2 2005, as this is what we started working with.
Best,
Johannes

jasonwebb

Indeed! The VKRC2 we have sourced is actually in Germany, perhaps from VW in a previous life! Looks like the economical thing is to get the heavy robot here in the states, then ship in the controller from overseas. In case you're curious, we're located in Omaha, Nebraska, which is almost exactly in the center of the US. As land-locked as one could possibly get in the US!

I thought I had read that the VKRC2 does not run KSS and does not support the standard KRL language, as it seems to use it's own purpose-built code. But perhaps this is just an optional layer on top of the stuff I need or just misinformation.

I would be very interested in hearing about your experience with VKRC2 with respect to KUKA|prc. Would you perhaps be able to shoot me a message or e-mail next week or so confirming that the VKRC2 is working for you?

Hmmm... Buying a robot and controller separately is definitely a possibility, but I wouldn't really recommend it as a "first robot". I know that Global Robots sold robots to the US before and thanks to the Brexit it may be a good time to buy a British robot ;)
They are listing KUKAs at around 9500GBP on their homepage: http://www.globalrobots.com/robots.aspx?brand=3
There are many other sellers of used robots around, I linked to Global because I knew that they've got prices on their homepage and we've worked with them before.

Best,
Johannes