Aligning tool end to normal

Started by Sailor Soane, November 10, 2016, 05:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailor Soane

Hi Johannes,

We are having a bit of trouble aligning our tool-tip to the normal of the surface. Any ideas? I've attached two grasshopper files - one that has no attempt at alignment and another that comes close but doesn't quite get it right. Many thanks in advance.

Johannes @ Robots in Architecture

Hello,

I've attached a file where I fixed the normals - I didn't take care to keep the structure, though. My addition is in the lower right corner.
Two things had to be fixed. First of all, I've extracted the normals from the surface geometry. Then, I had to set the right tool angle. In your file, the tool had a tool axis of 0/0/0 (for ABC) which in KUKA|prc would be as if the tool were facing "straight downward". However, the front part of your tool is around 55 degrees inclined, and it's mounted in reverse (facing upwards). Setting the B-angle to -125 degrees looks good now!
Is there any particular reason why you are working in a base coordinate system, but have then placed the object somewhere else? It usually makes sense to measure a coordinate system where you want to work, e.g. for 3D-printing on your build-platform. That ensures that everything is flat etc.
One last thing: With the Robot Cell component you could attach your environment to the robot, so that even when your base changes, everything stays in place.

Best,
Johannes

Sailor Soane

Many thanks. We will sort out the rest.

We had kept the tool axis information true to what the controller gave us after calibration - I didn't realize we could change that outside of the controller with predictable results!

We need to update the base - we have the object on our positioner which is connected and calibrated to our other kr60. Since all of those values exist in space within this file we have been able to be a bit lazy about that since placing the object where we need works without changing the base system. Not ideal, I know, but a way to quickly prove a few things out before cleaning it up ;-)

Robot cell - sounds great. We will have a look at it and get it going. Thanks for tip!

As always, many thanks for the help!

Johannes @ Robots in Architecture

Awesome, keep me updated and let me know if you run into any issues!
Best,
Johannes