Sculpting in Wood

Started by Knight, September 30, 2017, 02:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knight

Hi Johannes ,

I am quite excited and also curious to ask you about the Single toolpath generation for the abstract image in an object.With the previous surface milling examples ,the surface gets divided into various isocurves which are then translated into a toolpath.My question is it possible to generate Single toolpath for the entire Object as in the image below.Can you please explain the process on how should i  approach this.I have KR16 robot and planning for HSD or chinese spindle and also planning to carve a similar thing in CP teakWood (3ft x 2ft).Please do guide me.

I am inspired by the work of Daniel Widrig attached below

Johannes @ Robots in Architecture

Hello,

In that case I would also either use isocurves or even just contours. The tricky thing will be to connect the layers - it probably looks better to do a tool-axis offset at the beginning and end of each layer, because otherwise the connections will be very visible.
So with foam it will be easy to program, because you can use the entire length of the tool. With teak, that will be much trickier, as you probably cannot get that deep, especially with a KR16.
Personally I would probably do the roughening with a cheap CAM software like Fusion 360 (e.g. via the component from the member version) and a few millimetres offset, and then do the structuring of the surface via Grasshopper.

Best,
Johannes