How can I use a customized tool ?

Started by BogdanRentea, May 06, 2014, 03:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BogdanRentea

Hello Johannes,

I would like to start by saying that this is the first time I work with Grasshopper and with KUKAprc. Therefore the answer to my question might just lay before my eyes, but because of lack of experience I can't grab it at the moment.
I am interested in the simulation capabilities of the Rhino-KUKAprc couple. I have downloaded from tutorials the spline_circle example which I am now trying to modify step by step.
I would like "mount" a different tool on the flange. This tool is not a spindle. The elements with which I am working are:
- the STL file of my tool
- the Custom Tool element in KUKAprc
- a functional structure that imports an STL to Grasshopper (downloaded from here: http://www.grasshopper3d.com/forum/topics/import-an-stl-file-direct-in-grasshopper?commentId=2985220%3AComment%3A971412)

I have tried different approaches but unfortunately I was not able to attach my tool. Hope you can give me some advice on how to do that.

Thank you,
Bogdan

Johannes @ Robots in Architecture

Hello Bogdan,

Sure, that shouldn't be a problem. Are you using a KUKA robot or are you mostly simulating processes at the moment? Because if you've got the tool measured in at the robot, it would be good to have the XYZABC values.
Basically the Custom Tool component works in a way that you insert mesh geometry, then right-click it, go into the settings, enter the XYZABC values, and click confirm. If you're having problems it's probably because you didn't set the XYZABC values?
While it does give you the appropriate error message when you click on the message balloon in the upper right corner it's rather hidden. I've just implemented a new, more clearer message, it will be part of the member version soon.
Some more things:
Usually we assume that the tool axis of the mesh should be in positive X direction, the XYZABC values (if you are working "virtually") are offset values, so you can easily measure them from the 3D model (also refer to the graphic in the Custom Tool settings).

Let me know if it works, if not please also attach your 3D model. If it's confidential you can also eMail it to johannes@robotsinarchitecture.org

Best,
Johannes