New "Tool offset" component turns "PTP" commands into "LIN" commands

Started by Xylotica, August 09, 2018, 04:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xylotica

The new "Tool offset" component turns "PTP" commands into "LIN" commands.
Why ?

Johannes @ Robots in Architecture

Hello,

That was developed under the assumption that if you do a retract movement, you want to move in an accurate way.
Also, if you have a PTP movement you need to define a status value, and if you are unlucky the status works for one command, but not for the offset one. Then you would need to include an extra status input and at some point you have 20 inputs that nobody understands.
However it's easy to implement by yourself - that's the nice thing about Grasshopper!

I've attached a cluster that more or less duplicates what the toolaxis offset component is doing. Hope that helps!

Best,
Johannes

Xylotica

Thanks for your answer.
I need to use PTP because with the LIN movements, I frequently get excessive axis speeds on some motors, and the simulation (in it's present status) does not reveal them.

Johannes @ Robots in Architecture

Hello,

If you are constantly getting problems with singularities, it might be worth it to slightly change your setup, i.e. adjust the tool angle, and often simply lowering or lifting your table by 10cm makes a big difference.
I'll look into the file you sent me before, haven't had the time yet.

Best,
Johannes

Xylotica

I do so many different things with so many different tools that dealing with singularities is not just a matter of raising the table.
But if the simulation can warn me of problems ahead, I can do all sorts of things to avoid it.
Isn't that what simulating is all about ? :)