Kuka/PRC on a Mac

Started by Andreas Renz, January 18, 2019, 01:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andreas Renz

Hi all,

does anybody know if Kuka/PRC is running on the mac version of Rhino. I ask because there is a mac version of grasshoppers coming and I'm thinking about buying rhino. I'm mainly working on mac and it would be cool to stay on macs. Otherwise I will buy the PC Rhino Version.

Thanks for Inputs.

Andreas

Johannes @ Robots in Architecture

Hello Andreas,

I don't have a Mac to try it, but I would assume that the components might work, but the UI definitely won't.
So until we find the time to re-do the UI in a nice looking, cross platform UI library, it unfortunately won't be of much use on a Mac.

Best,
Johannes

singline

Hi Andreas,

If you're getting serious about robotics, especially utilising parametric and computational control, I'd suggest you do significant amount of research prior to spending the money on mac Rhino. I, personally, made the switch back to PC due to the sheer amount of libraries and that parametric, at the moment, is mostly PC. Keep in mind Python in Rhino is Iron Python 2.7 also, which is built on Microsoft's .NET.

Just something to consider, good luck!

Karl

ghalibouayad

Hi Everyone :))
I was wondering if there were any news regarding the Kuka PRC plugin for Rhino Mac Grasshopper ?
The software is more stable than ever and a Beta was released last week. Any chance to get a PRC plugin for Mac ? any timeline you could share with us ?
Apologies if my message is suggesting that this is an easy task, I know it is very hard to make things work cross platform and need a lot of energy, time and efforts.
Warm regards to your team !
Ghali,

Hello Ghali,

Maybe I manage to have time over summer to integrate that, but so far I unfortunately do not have any news for you.
Just out of curiosity, if you try to run it on Mac, does anything show up?

Best,
Johannes

ghalibouayad

Hi Johannes,
Thanks for the swift reply.
I would love to try it on Mac, problem is the installation file comes as an .EXE format. So unable to copy the components inside my Rhino/Grasshopper library.
Anyway to send me the Gh components/user/library files, DLL files... by email ?
Regards,
Ghali,

Sure, I'll send you a link via direct message in a minute!
Thanks!

econraddiao

Johannes,
    I was hoping that I could also test the OSX functionality for you. Is there any chance you could send me the files needed, too?

Best,
    Conrad

Taubman College of Architecture + Urban Planning

Hello Conrad,

Unfortunately it didn't work. We have KUKA|prc running within e.g. Unity and in the browser, so the core logic is not the problem, probably we need to do changes to the Grasshopper component itself.
As e.g. the KUKA configuration software is also Windows-only it's not that high up on our list of priorities, though we do want to implement a cross-platform UI at some point, which might result in a Mac-version.

But I cannot really provide a schedule on that...

Best,
Johannes

Zoey Zhao

Quote from: Johannes @ Robots in Architecture on June 13, 2019, 12:48:54 PM
Sure, I'll send you a link via direct message in a minute!
Thanks!

Hello Johannes,

This is my first time using this website I hope im doing it right. I want to ask if it's also possible for you to send me the Gh components/user/library files as well? I'm also using Mac and right now I'm using Robots from GitHub, but ideally it'd be great if I can use KUKA|prc in gh :) thank you so much!

Best,
Zoey

Hello Zoey,

I also got your eMail and will reply to that. But so far the feedback seems that it's not working properly on the Mac. You would basically have to implement the simulation component yourself, which would work if you've got decent GH / C# skills!

Best,
Johannes