Integrating 7 axis on KR150 KRC2 ED05

Started by designfugitives, February 13, 2019, 06:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

designfugitives

Is the a guide on installing a 7th axis, from Kuka or any other sources?

We have krc2 ed05 cabinet with 7th and 8th axis drivers installed.  We have turn table with an A2 servo and drive from a KRC1 robot.  Three questions:

1.  Can I install the KRC1 servo and drive into a KRC2 cabinet?  Or
2.  Can I use the existing 7th axis to drive a KRC1 servo?
3.  Is either scenario above possible?

Thanks.

Johannes @ Robots in Architecture

Hello,

We've got a KRC1 (or 2, but I suspect 1) motor running on a KRC4. It doesn't move perfectly, but the positioning is fine and I've stopped troubleshooting as it's good enough for our purposes.
So I'd assume that it's possible on KRC2 as well. Do you have the relevant connections on the robot and the cabinet?
For the documentation, google for "KSS_55_external axis setup and programming".

Best,
Johannes

designfugitives

Glad to hear to motors are "backward" compatible.  As for connections, we have a cable labeled XM Axis 1 Pos 2/1 and another labeld X81.  They both hook up to 7axis motor.  Haven't looked at where they will go on the cabinet yet.  Any other cables/connections?

Two cables should be fine!
Let us know if it works!

Best,
Johannes

designfugitives

If I want to set up a 7th axis for turn table, should it be set up as Synchronous or Async?

That depends on how you want to use it.
If you e.g. put six blocks of material on the turntable and want the robot to mill identical sculptures one after another, rather than putting in the code six times you can just have the same code, with the turntable asynchronously rotating 60 degrees after every piece.
But usually you would go for a synchronous turntable for re-positioning during a CNC process.

Best,
Johannes

designfugitives

Our cabinets came with 2 additional drivers with SBM2.  After searching a few forums, I decided to try installing our 7th axis as a synchronous axis without the SBM2.  Attached is a PDF that hardware and software settings.  I used the wizard to set up the axis per the External Axes documentation.

There's an error on the last page of the attached pdf that I can't seem to work around.  I looked up alarm message 310 but wasn't able to find any instruction on how to resolve it.

Any help to troubleshoot this will be much appreciated.

T

Hello,

Have you given the KUKA hotline a call? That seems like a well-defined problem that they may be able to solve quickly (newly installed external axis, error message regarding safety circuit).

Best,
Johannes

designfugitives

Found the information I needed in a diagram - 2 wires were no connected.  Got the 7th axis turning.  Figuring out kinematic systems.

Great, thanks for the update!
My suggestion is to always first get the turntable to synchronize properly and only then to start with SRC files!
Best,
Johannes

designfugitives

Johannes

In the attached image and GH file, you see there are 3 robot positions with a generic table set up.  Trying to set up to be able to rough out a block of foam into cylindrical stock. 

Lower left is how we have it set up in the shop.  Upper right is a wire cutter set up with A value set to 135 for E1.  Middle is a milling set up with A value at 60.  The A values were change to avoid singularity and collisions.   

If I was to implement this, I assume I will need to program two work bases.  With an endless E1, is there a way to program both operations without have to change the A values to ellimate the need to program the bases?

T

Hello,

Actually you program a turntable process in one coordinate system and then add the rotation with the E1, so that your coordinate system rotates along with the turntable. You can still use base coordinate systems, just make sure that you calibrate them as Offset Coordinate Systems on the KUKA. On KUKA|prc it automatically assumes that offset bases are used when working with a coupled turntable.
Or did I misunderstand your question?

Best,
Johannes