Setting up KRC1 connection for use with KUKA|prc

Started by Gujarish, July 19, 2019, 01:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gujarish

Hello everyone,,
I'm researching the possibility of acquiring a used KR150 robot with KRC1 electronics, and have been getting a lot of mixed information from various sources about how to connect to the KRC1 using a more modern PC, or indeed if its possible at all.

Given the costs associated with the equipment, I want to be reasonably confident that if I do get it that I can connect to it to achieve the applications I'm interested in. In particular I'm interested in doing experimental creative work with it such as performances, light fabrication and (ideally) interactive experiences with the robot. For some applications I am content with just being able to load up programs created offline, but I would LOVE to have live communication with the bot to enable sensor-driven or otherwise interactive applications (even if they are somewhat slow).

I've seen a post or two here, and notes on the Food4Rhino plugin page, suggesting that KRC1 controllers are supported by KUKA|prc, but I have to admit that I'm a bit hazy on HOW to actually connect the KRC1 to another PC. I see that there is an RS232 serial interface available, which I could potentially use a crossover cable to connect to. But what about the KRC1 side - do I load some special program onto it that comes with the purchase of KUKA|prc? What do I need to do or learn about in order to get up the whole kit and kaboodle up and running?

If this information is included or made available with a paid membership to RoboArch I am MORE than happy to oblige, I just wanted to do my due diligence in making sure that such information exists so I can feel a bit more confident in pulling the trigger and getting my bot :)

Johannes @ Robots in Architecture

Hello,

We don't support any kind of live communication out of the box, but as you mentioned the KRC1 controllers have got a serial port, so you could get your data from KUKA|prc, format it the right way and then send it to the robot, e.g. via the Firefly plugin's serial component. You will need to define the structure and how the robot deals with the data received on the serial port by yourself, i.e. there is no real template for you to use.
I can see if I can find some old files, though.

Best,
Johannes