Fixturing for robotic milling (wood)

Started by tk4b, April 08, 2024, 06:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tk4b

Hi, I am putting together a milling setup using a positioner (DKP-400 in case it matters) and I'm wondering what others have found successful in terms of fixturing.  I'm thinking of interchangeable base plates of perhaps MDF or plywood to hold log-size work pieces, and assuming I can put lag screws through the bottom of those into the wood.  Being my own devils advocate, I'm concerned maybe those materials aren't quite stiff enough and will act like a trampoline (so maybe a metal plate with a hole pattern instead).

I'd love to see pictures and descriptions of setups that anyone else wants to share, or general advice on holding irregular workpieces so they won't vibrate during milling.  Thanks!

Johannes @ Robots in Architecture

Hmmm... We didn't mill a lot the past year, but I think having a wooden base onto which you can screw your timber objects is a good approach for generic objects! If you do many similar-sized, large objects it would definitely make sense to come up with a specialized solution, e.g., a metal plate with threaded rods onto which you can screw the object.

For our stationary milling, we use a welding table, which is nice with the many mounting options, but I don't think it's super convenient when you cannot access the mounting surface from below.

Best,
Johannes