WISH : KUKA|prc plane to new base

Started by Xylotica, May 16, 2023, 11:17:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xylotica

I wish there was a similar component as the GH "Plane origin", but for KUKA|prc frames.
I find it sometimes tedious to define each frame with 3 points when all I want is to place the tool at a different location, but keeping the same orientation.
I know I can use "Transform command" for this, but it requires defining the vector between current base and new base plus a transformation... heavy !

Johannes @ Robots in Architecture

Hello,
I'm not sure that I 100% understand what you want to achieve. You could make a script component to set the XYZ part of a Frame, but don't you have access to the XYZABC inputs anyway?
If what you see in the screenshot is what you need, I can provide you the C# code for that.
Best,
Johannes

Xylotica

Now it's my turn to not fully understand what you mean :)
Maybe the confusion comes from my usage of the word "Base" ; I really meant "KUKA|prc frames".
I define my frames mostly with "3 points to plane" (which should really be called "3 points to frame", actually).
I generally don't use the "Frame" command, except when defining a base outside the GUI.

So when I want to set a tool orientation, but then just move the TCP to a different point, I'd like to have a component that works like "Plane origin".

PS : no more file attachments to messages ?
I tried to put a Google Drive link, but it doesn't seem to work.

Hello,

Hmmm... Attachments should still work, I'm attaching the one you sent me.
The 3-Point component creates a normal plane geometry, so you should be able to use the "Plane Origin" component on it!
Or did I understand anything wrong here?

Best,
Johannes

Xylotica

Quote from: Johannes @ Robots in Architecture on May 17, 2023, 06:44:13 PMThe 3-Point component creates a normal plane geometry, so you should be able to use the "Plane Origin" component on it!

-Facepalm-
I thought it was a special class...
This opens-up a lot of options indeed ! Then, in effect, the KUKA-prc "3-Point to plane" component is almost identical to GH's "Plane 3 pt" with just O / X / Y replaced by O / Z / X ?

The Plane 3pt is a remainder of our early work with flank milling and ruled surfaces, where we had the TCP on the lower curve, a point on upper curve defining the tool axis (= Z) and an "orientation" point from which the plane is facing away (= -X). So it's mostly a convenience thing to set up your planes!

Best,
Johannes