Issue with velocity when using Tool Axis Offset Module

Started by alvarogarciasab, November 21, 2023, 09:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alvarogarciasab

Hi all,

I've been defining a program where a Kuka robot will mill a material in 2.5D.

Ideally, I would like to define three velocities: Travel movement (not milling), Milling velocity, and Offset velocity (when the robot moves in the Z axis going away from the material.

Two points here:

1. When using the Tool Axis Offset module, the Offset vel. defines the milling velocity and vice-versa. Is it a software issue?

2. I understand that if it works well, I can define Milling vel and Offset vel. Is there a way to define a third velocity (Travel vel.)?

I am attaching a pic where I visually describe the issue and question.

Thanks in advance,

Johannes @ Robots in Architecture

Hello,

The default behavior of the speed setting is that the initial speed is used until it is overridden by a specific speed setting. So if you don't set the speed of the movement component the offset speed will continue to be used - see the screenshot below. KUKA|prc is a generic interface so it does not differentiate by default between cutting paths, traversal paths etc. as people also use it for other applications than milling.

Doing three speeds is definitely not a problem, but you would need to make your own code, e.g. as a cluster. If you have access to the member version you can extract the plane from e.g. a LIN movement, with the Community version you would need to set it up at the "plane-level" before you turn it into a movement component. Afterwards you simply offset the first/last plane, set the according speeds and weave it back together in the right order.

Let me know if you run into any issues here, then I can provide you with an example!
Best,
Johannes