Open Meshes

Started by ricruiz, December 01, 2016, 01:01:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ricruiz

For the purposes of rendering and animating the kuka simulation for demonstrative purposes, I am trying to join the meshes of the robot for easier exporting. However, the KUKA robot body keeps baking as an open mesh, regardless of joining the base, flange, and body or keeping them separate (to note, the base, flange, and tool all bake as closed meshes). Is there currently a solution to this? Thank you for your time.

If it helps, I am using a KR150-240 -2 L110/180, Rhino 5 SR12 64-bit, and Kuka|PRC build 20161023 - October 23rd, 2016

Johannes @ Robots in Architecture

Hello,

The meshes should come joined by material, however by the Rhino command for splitting disjoint meshes it should be possible to get them apart again. For rendering and animation, what is the issue with an open mesh? We didn't optimize meshes for being watertight, as you would need it for 3D printing.
Maybe I just don't fully understand the problem - what exactly do you want to achieve?

Best,
Johannes

ricruiz

Johannes,

The error was on my end, as the tool I added on the flange was an open mesh I had to close on my very own. The different meshes that bake had to join before exporting into Maya for animating, so the aforementioned error caused the entire issue. The end goal was to see how Kuka simulations interact with other animation software and how such effects in the software can inform its capabilities, so I'm certainly one step closer now! Thanks for your time.

Johannes @ Robots in Architecture

Awesome, I'm glad that you were able to get it working!
Best,
Johannes