(Another) Fusion 360 NC import wish

Started by Xylotica, October 16, 2018, 02:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xylotica

I have set a specific value for the "Rapid" input in the "Fusion" component, but I can see that value defined nowhere in the .SRC file
I wish that there was an input to over-ride whatever process speed is defined in the .xml file exported from fusion, and that the "Rapid" input actually affects the speed of travel in the "hops" between actual milling.

Johannes @ Robots in Architecture

Hello,

That is actually what should be happening, and in my tests it just worked.

For example at the end of the XML file I've got...
<linear5d to='-199 -0.01 2.039' normal='-1 0 0'/>
<arc dir='cw' to='-200.6 -1.61 2.039' center='-200.6 -0.01 2.039' normal='-1 0 0' feed='2000.000'/>
<rapid5d to='-215 -1.61 2.039' normal='-1 0 0'/>

...which translates to...
$VEL.CP=0.03333333
LIN {E6POS: X -199, Y -0.01, Z 2.039, A 0, B 0, C -105.953, E1 0, E2 0, E3 0, E4 0} C_DIS
CIRC {E6POS: X -201.731, Y 1.121, Z 2.039, A 0, B 0, C -105.953, E1 0, E2 0, E3 0, E4 0},{E6POS: X -200.6, Y -1.61, Z 2.039, A 0, B 0, C -105.969, E1 0, E2 0, E3 0, E4 0} C_DIS
$VEL.CP=2
LIN {E6POS: X -215, Y -1.61, Z 2.039, A 0, B 0, C -105.969, E1 0, E2 0, E3 0, E4 0} C_DIS

And you can override the speed by disabling the speed toggle. The postprocessor does not differentiate between the different movements, though, so you cannot batch-process those speeds, except by search/replace on the XML file.

Best,
Johannes

Xylotica

Johannes,

It doesn't make sense to me that :
-In the case of the "Feed" rate, you can only toggle whether or not you want to use the one from the .xml Gcode
-In the case of the "Rapid" rate, you can over-ride with a value

Why not allow to override both with a value ? That way, you have a consistent way to both :
-Choose if you want to keep the value from the .xml
-If you want to override, set a new value

It's similar to my remark with the Tool offset component : please go all the way to make it simple and easy to set th e various speeds.

Best,

If you disable the speed coming from Fusion, it will work like LINear movements without a speed value, i.e. it will take the previous one, which is often the default value defined in the settings.
What I could do is replace the "Toggle Feed" Boolean input with a number input for "Override Feed" (i.e. if you provide a value there it will override the programmed speed values), thus keeping the number of inputs the same.
Would that work for you?

Best,
Johannes

Xylotica

Yes, this is what I would like, and what makes for the most consistent logic, IMO

I like all my important values to be right before my eyes.
Did you know that David first named Grasshopper "Explicit History" ?

Yes, sure - the early times! I need to ask David sometimes if there is any particular reason it's called Grasshopper... Never thought of that ;)

Xylotica

Hi Johannes, back to that FUSION import component :
I see that you can now input directly a "FEED OVERRIDE" value ; that's great... except if I do that, it will discard any setting I enter in the "REDUCE POINT" input (see "Fusion component bug").

Now regarding the override for RAPID : I see in the XML file that there's some kind of Autodesk crippling going on for those who don't have a paying version.
How does the "RAPID" input in the FUSION component play with this ?
In my experience, I was never able to set proper rapid displacements ; could you clarify the situation ? (see "Rapid or not rapid").

Also, in a thread, you mention that tolerances under 0.1 mm are kind of silly, and I agree with that, but then why is the default value for tolerance in your post-processor equal to 0.01 ?
(see "tiny tolerance").

Thanks

Hello,

I've always used my educational version so I haven't encountered that.
The problem is that a rapid movement on the robot would be a PTP movement, which is a pretty bad idea for milling. So instead we can enter a higher speed value for LIN movements. However, if Fusion no longer identifies rapid movements, then that setting has got no effect.
And the tolerance value is just a default value, we don't currently set it in the postprocessor. You can open the postprocessor file with a text editor, if you want to change some things, it's basically JavaScript.
Finally, the feed override settings disabling the toolpath reduction is definitely a bug, I'll send you the fixed version via eMail.

Best,
Johannes