Roughing ?

Started by Xylotica, February 02, 2016, 02:48:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johannes @ Robots in Architecture

Hello,

An important concept of using a robot are local coordinate systems. You calibrate them via three points (Startup/Calibrate/Base/Three Points) and get XYZABC values that define how your local coordinate system is placed in relation to the robot. Every base (= local coordinate system) also has got a number.
In the KUKA|prc settings you then enter the base number and the approximate values (only the number is written into code, i.e. you don't have to got for tenths of millimeters as it will only affect the simulation.
This way, you do not have to arbitrarily move your commands around space, but just define with the robot where the Rhino coordinate system would be in physical space.
With milling, ideally work in a way that your coordinate system is on top of the workpiece and the geometry below, as this makes it easy to reference the workpiece.

Hope that helps!
Johannes

Xylotica

It does help indeed.

I know the concept of base, and have defined a couple of them just for practice.
But since I never absolutely needed to define a custom base, and I am mostly experimenting very different things for the moment, I assumed it was wise to keep using the Base 0 which is defined in my case as the robot's "world" coordinate system.
I can understand why it makes sense to use bases, although I fear it can also lead to trouble if referencing the wrong base.
It happened to me once, and I thought it would probably be a good idea to expose this as an input parameter, just like the tool, instead of being insite the KUKA|prc settings, you know, for the goofballs like me.

Cheers,

Actually just because of that I do NOT want to expose it as a parameter, as it should be entered "consciously" rather than as an arbitrary slider value!

Best,
Johannes

Xylotica

I understand...
Maybe the tool number and the base number could just be displayed on the component somehow...as a reminder.
Making programs involves a lot of "Save as", and you can easily forget that you don't have the proper base if the number is hidden from view, don't you think ?

Xylotica

Stuck with CIRC movement problems again, with the Fusion post-processor : "Start point equal to mid-point".
Can't seem to get the circles straight ? Ha ha.

Hello,

I replied to your other post!

Best,
Johannes