Orient component not getting parts flat for cutting?

Started by Woodboss, March 03, 2018, 11:06:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodboss

Hi,
I've 'oriented' my parts to the XY plane for nesting and cutting - but they're all airborne and slanted in a strange way.
The rectangular grid is flat, but the parts 'oriented' onto it are not...
Why?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Woodboss

Forgot the files!

Woodboss

Usual thing - two minutes after posting I have fixed it!

Johannes @ Robots in Architecture

Woodboss

Hi Johannes,
Typical of my muddles! Had a problem, failed to post correctly, thought I fixed the problem, unfixed it, re-posted on the Mcneel forum and a super kind Korean gent fixed it properly! So much to learn with Grasshopper even with my limited aspirations!

I just cut my first messy prototype ring out of ply, very pleased, pic attached.
Only problem left to solve now is to get the tool to retract between cutting the inner and outer rings. I think it's a case of appending one set of planes to the other, but as a separate branch.

Also I would like to step through the program simulation somehow. The slider or 'play' are to fast for me.

Best regards,
Charles.

Johannes @ Robots in Architecture

Hello Charles,

That already looks really good!
Ideally for retraction you have every pass as a separate branch and can then add the retract and approach motion at the end and at the beginning. Also, the Tool-Axis Offset component of KUKA|prc (in Toolpath Utilities tab) does that.
For the simulation, you can drag to make the slider longer, and if you need more resolution open the slider properties and use more digits, e.g. 5 instead of the default 3.
In the Play component you can also manually set the time.

Best,
Johannes

Woodboss

Hi Johannes,

Everything's working great now and I'm really pleased with the definition and the results of my first attempts milling this!
Now I will work on the cutter type, spindle speed, feed speed, etc. can of worms...
Thanks again for your help.

Best regards,
Charles.