Fluid, organic, human movement?

Started by Weston, March 28, 2023, 04:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weston

Hello, relatively new. I made a rotating multi-tool head to experiment with zen-garden-like sand/stone sculpting. The initial tests went very well but I'm trying to recreate this on a larger scale with less robotic, less controlled behavior. More human like gesture.

I was hoping for any tips or advice on that, or any examples done with prc that showcase this ability. I can introduce some shaking and inaccurately by jittering points and planes along a curve a little, but I'm hoping to achieve more intention and hesitance.

Johannes @ Robots in Architecture

Hello Weston,

My idea for that would be not to change the trajectory too much, but maybe the speed. The OV speed that you change on the smartPad is the variable $OV_PRO. The KUKA has got a program called sps.sub that always runs in the background, you could play with some easy rules to change the speed according to some values, or just to continuously loop it up and down.
For that project we did not use any real-time trajectories, but only varied the speed according to the sound: https://ars.electronica.art/center/de/theberliozproject/

Hope that helps!
Best,
Johannes

Weston

Thank you, saw the video and it's very nice! Is variable speed control possible in Grasshopper through Command velocity? I'd like to be able to tie speed to data within the script.

Johannes @ Robots in Architecture

Hello,

Yes, you can definitely change the speed via the command velocity, but that changes is only per segment, while doing it in the sps.sub is more or less in realtime. It depends on what you want to achieve!

Best,
Johannes